The Claim: The only scientifically repeatable and proven way to lose body fat is to eat less calories than you burn
Eating less calories than you burn is the only proven way to lose bodyfat. It does not matter when you eat those calories, or what kind of calories they are, as long as you’re in a deficit you will lose body fat and bodyweight.
This is consistent with all of the known scientific literature in this field and with the laws of physics and thermodynamics.
There is absolutely no other way this can work. Anyone who tells you otherwise is either lying to you on purpose, or clueless enough that they don’t realize they are lying to you. In either case you should avoid listening to them because they’re out to lunch.
To review, here is a brief list of all the things that absolutely DON’T matter for weight loss:
1. Meal timing
2. # of meals per day
3. Nutrient ratios in each meal (protein, carb, fat ratios)
4. Blood type (probably the most ridiculous of all, if you believe this one you need to get your head checked to be sure your brain hasn’t fallen out)
5. Raw food, veggie, vegan whatever (cook your food or don’t cook it, eat meat or don’t eat meat, none of it matters for weight loss)
6. Saturated fat, trans fats, omega 6 fats or whatever fat you like to hate
7. Eating for the supposed purpose of manipulating hormone levels
I’m sure there are other strategies that I’ve missed, so please feel free to enlighten me on the magic weight loss bullets that I don’t have loaded in my fat blasting revolver! (if you can’t tell…I’m being sarcastic here and poking fun at typical weight loss marketing speak)
So if you’ve ever lost a significant amount of bodyfat and bodyweight you already know that none of this stuff matters, if you’ve never managed to lose weight you’ve got no grounds for making any argument…because, well you just don’t know.
If you want to lose weight, the only way to do it is to keep it simple. I suggest Eat Stop Eat as the best way to do this, but don’t take my word for it, test it out for yourself.